Powers Gold Label is a Whiskey of superior quality with its distinctive pot still, spicy and honeyed flavour. Triple distilled and matured in specailly selected American oak casks for richness and complexity.
Connemara is a wild, mountainous region on the west coast of Ireland, lying between the Atlantic Ocean and Loughs Corrib and Mask. The peat bogs of Connemara are major fuel sources to the region and have played an important role throughout Irish history as an energy source and in the production of whiskey. However, as many of the distilleries in Ireland were located alongside a canal, the transport and use of coal in distilleries became more efficient than peat. This temporarily killed the tradition of drying malted barley over peat fires in the production of whiskey. Managing Director of Cooley Distillery, David Hynes and chairman John Teeling have resurrected this traditional Irish custom, creating Ireland's only peated malt. Noted whisky writer, Michael Jackson commented of Connemara
Connemara Peated Single Malt was placed fourth in the Irish Whiskey category at Best of the Best 2003 and received a double gold and Best of Irish at the San Fransisco World Spirits Competition 2004.
Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey is like most Irish people, easy going and approachable. Distilled in the world's oldest distillery, Kilbeggan is a blend of the finest grain and malt whiskey to produce a smooth, subtle and distinctive flavour.
Redbreast 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey
Redbreast 12 Year Old Irish Whiskey is the quintessential example of premium Irish Whiskey, and considered to be the purest form of the art. With a history dating back to 1903 when John Jameson & Company entered into an agreement with Gilbeys Wines & Spirits Import Company to supply new make whiskey which was then 'bonded' in old sherry and port casks. Single Pot Still whiskey is unique to Ireland and this exciting example is crafted from both malted and unmalted barley and then triple distilled in a traditional copper still. The result is a whiskey of unrivalled richness, complexity and smoothness. Hints of creaminess on the finish round out an true Irish Whiskey of pedigree.
An elegant and sophisticated style of Irish malt whiskey; Tyrconnell has a full and fruity aroma and citrus spiciness taste. An un-peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey with its origin dating back to 1762 at The Watts distillery which had a proud tradition of producing great whiskies.
Writers Tears Pot Still Irish whiskey (700ml)
IRELAND ABV: 40.00%
Writers Tears is a vatting of Pure Pot Still and Single Malt (proportions are a closely guarded secret). It's the creation of Writers Tears proprietor, Bernard Walsh, who enjoys privileged access to the warehouses of certain Irish distillers from where he selects the casks for his own labels. Some years ago he came up with this entirely ‘new’ type of whiskey: a blend of malt and pure pot still (PPS) whiskeys (all other Irish blends contain some proportion of Coffey still grain whiskey). The Pure Pot Still is a style that was once known as the "Champagne of Irish Whiskey" and was traditionally a favourite of Irish writers suffering from writer’s block. Rather poetically, they drank so much of it, some were reputed to have cried tears of whiskey when inspiration finally hit. Although the Pure Pot Still style was once widespread in Ireland, a number of historical factors including the The Irish War of Independence, the Irish Civil War, and prohibition in the United States led to a drastic reduction in the number of Irish distilleries. With this reduction in Irish whiskeys available came the loss in recognition abroad of the pure pot still style itself. The majority of the surviving distilleries began to produce blends and single malts to the detriment of the Pure Pot Still.
Tullamore Dew is a brand of blended Irish whiskey produced by William Grant & Sons. It was originally produced in Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland starting in 1829. However, in 1950 the distillery closed down and it began production in Midleton, County Cork. In 2014, a new distillery in the outskirts of Tullamore was opened bringing production back to the town. The name derives from the initials of an early manager of the concern, Mr. Daniel E. Williams (abbreviated "D. E. W." and merged to form "Dew"). Formerly owned and marketed by the Irish company, C&C Group, the label was sold to the Scottish Company William Grant & Sons in 2010.
The distillery was founded by Michael Molloy in 1829. When Molloy died, Bernard Daly took charge of the business. General manager Daniel E. Williams' initials gave the whiskey its name.
In 1953, the brand was sold to Powers and the Tullamore distillery was closed, with its production moved, along with that of Jameson, Powers, Paddy and the rest of theIrish Distillers products, to the New Midleton Distillery in county Cork. The brand was purchased in 1994 by the C&C Group plc. In 2010 C&C sold Tullamore Dew toWilliam Grant & Sons in a €300 million deal. Most of the current product is made at the New Midleton Distillery. After the acquisition, Grant & Sons Ltd. announced that it planned to invest in a new state-of-the-art pot-still whiskey and malt whiskey distillery in Tullamore, which would bring whiskey production back to the town for the first time since the original distillery closed in 1954. As of 2013, the whiskey currently sells about 850,000 cases per year (an amount that has doubled since 2005).
The Tullamore Dew whiskies contain both malted and unmalted barley-based whiskeys, triple distilled and aged between 12 to 15 years in old bourbon or sherry casks. Some pot-still whiskey is included in the blend.
Old Bushmills Distillery
The Old Bushmills Distillery is a distillery in Bushmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. As of December 2014, it is in the process of transitioning from ownership by Diageo plc to Casa Cuervo. The distillery is a popular tourist attraction, with around 120,000 visitors per year. According to the company, a distillery by this name was first recorded in 1743, although at the time it was "in the hands of smugglers" (in a quote attributed to Victorian whiskey journalist Alfred Barnard)
All of the whiskey bottled under the Bushmills whiskey brand is produced at the Bushmills Distillery. A licence to distill in the area was granted to Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1608 by King James I, and the 1608 date is printed on the labels of the Bushmills brand whiskey. It uses water drawn from Saint Columb's Rill which is a tributary of the River Bush.
The Bushmills Distillery claims to be—and is almost unanimously considered to be—the oldest licensed distillery in the world.
The area has a long tradition with distillation. According to one story, as far back as 1276, an early settler called Sir Robert Savage of Ards, before defeating the Irish in battle, fortified his troops with "a mighty drop of acqua vitae" In 1608, a licence was granted to Sir Thomas Phillipps by King James I to distill whiskey
The Bushmills Old Distillery Company itself was not established until 1784 by Hugh Anderson. Bushmills suffered many lean years with numerous periods of closure with no record of the distillery being in operation in the official records both in 1802 and in 1822. In 1860 a Belfast spirit merchant named Jame McColgan and Patrick Corrigan bought the distillery; in 1880 they formed a limited company. In 1885, the original Bushmills buildings were destroyed by fire but the distillery was swiftly rebuilt. In 1890, a steamship owned and operated by the distillery, the S.S. Bushmills, made its maiden voyage across the Atlantic to deliver Bushmills whiskey to America. It called atPhiladelphia and New York before heading on to Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Yokohama.
In the early 20th century, the U.S. was a very important market for Bushmills (and other Irish Whiskey producers). American Prohibition in 1920 came as a large blow to the Irish Whiskey industry, but Bushmills managed to survive. Wilson Boyd, Bushmills' director at the time, predicted the end of prohibition and had large stores of whiskey ready to export. After the Second World War, the distillery was bought by Isaac Wolfson, and, in 1972, it was taken over by Irish Distillers, meaning that Irish Distillers controlled the production of all Irish whiskey at the time. In June 1988, Irish Distillers was bought by French liquor group Pernod Ricard.
Jameson Irish Whiskey
The John Jameson and Son Irish Whiskey company was formally established in 1810 when John Jameson and his son (also John Jameson) took ownership of the Bow Street Distillery in Dublin which had originally been built by his wife's cousins the Steins in 1780. Jameson was a Scottish lawyer from Alloa in Clackmannanshire who had married Margaret Haig, a sister of the Haig brothers who owned the Haig distilleries. Margaret Haig was a first cousin of the Steins, a Scottish distilling family, also from Clackmannanshire, with significant distilling interests in Scotland and Dublin. On his marriage to Margaret Haig in 1786, John Jameson moved with his new wife to Dublin to manage the Stein's Bow Street Distillery (which had been established in 1780) for Margaret's Stein uncle. This explains the use of the year 1780 in Jameson marketing as the Bow Street Distillery was where Jameson Irish Whiskey was born. Portraits of John and Margaret Jameson by Sir Henry Raeburn are in the collection of theNational Gallery of Ireland.
Originally one of the six main Dublin Whiskeys, Jameson is now distilled in Cork. In 2013, annual sales topped 4.7 million cases (56.4 million bottles). Jameson is by far the best selling Irish whiskey in the world, as it has been sold internationally since the early 19th century. The United States is the largest market for Jameson Whiskey, with consumption during 2013 up by 12%.
When John Jameson, a Scottish businessman, became manager of the Stein family Bow Street Distillery in 1786, it was producing about 30,000 gallons annually. By the turn of the 19th century, it was the second largest producer in Ireland and one of the largest in the world, producing 1,000,000 gallons annually. Dublin at the time was the centre of world whiskey production. It was the second most popular spirit in the world after rum and internationally Jameson had by 1805 become the world's number one whiskey. Today, Jameson is the world's third largest single-distillery whiskey.
Historical events, for a time, set the company back. The temperance movement in Ireland had an enormous impact domestically but the two key events that affected Jameson were the Irish War of Independence and subsequent trade war with the British which denied Jameson the export markets of the Commonwealth, and shortly thereafter, the introduction of prohibition in the United States. While Scottish brands could easily slip across the Canadian border, Jameson was excluded from its biggest market for many years]
The introduction of column stills by the Scottish blenders in the mid-19th-century enabled increased production that the Irish, still making labour-intensive single pot still whiskey, could not compete with. There was a legal enquiry somewhere in 1908 to deal with the trade definition of whiskey. The Scottish producers won within some jurisdictions, and blends became recognised in the law of that jurisdiction as whiskey. The Irish in general, and Jameson in particular, continued with the traditional pot still production process for many years.
In 1966 John Jameson merged with Cork Distillers and John Powers to form the Irish Distillers Group. In 1976, the Dublin whiskey distilleries of Jameson in Bow Street and in John's Lane were closed following the opening of a New Midleton Distillery by Irish Distillers outside Cork. The Midleton Distillery now produces much of the Irish whiskey sold in Ireland under the Jameson, Midleton, Powers, Redbreast, Spot and Paddy labels. The new facility adjoins an old Midleton Distillery, which is now home to the Jameson Experience Visitor Centre and the Irish Whiskey Academy. The Jameson brand was acquired by the French drinks conglomerate Pernod Ricard in 1988, when it bought Irish Distillers. The old Jameson Distillery in Bow Street near Smithfield in Dublin now serves as a museum which offers tours and tastings.
In 2008, The Local, an Irish pub in Minneapolis, sold 671 cases of Jameson (22 bottles a day).making it the largest server of Jameson's in the world – a title it maintained for four consecutive years]