Tullamore Dew is a brand of blended Irish whiskey produced by William Grant & Sons. It was originally produced in Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland starting in 1829. However, in 1950 the distillery closed down and it began production in Midleton, County Cork. In 2014, a new distillery in the outskirts of Tullamore was opened bringing production back to the town. The name derives from the initials of an early manager of the concern, Mr. Daniel E. Williams (abbreviated "D. E. W." and merged to form "Dew"). Formerly owned and marketed by the Irish company, C&C Group, the label was sold to the Scottish Company William Grant & Sons in 2010.
The distillery was founded by Michael Molloy in 1829. When Molloy died, Bernard Daly took charge of the business. General manager Daniel E. Williams' initials gave the whiskey its name.
In 1953, the brand was sold to Powers and the Tullamore distillery was closed, with its production moved, along with that of Jameson, Powers, Paddy and the rest of theIrish Distillers products, to the New Midleton Distillery in county Cork. The brand was purchased in 1994 by the C&C Group plc. In 2010 C&C sold Tullamore Dew toWilliam Grant & Sons in a €300 million deal. Most of the current product is made at the New Midleton Distillery. After the acquisition, Grant & Sons Ltd. announced that it planned to invest in a new state-of-the-art pot-still whiskey and malt whiskey distillery in Tullamore, which would bring whiskey production back to the town for the first time since the original distillery closed in 1954. As of 2013, the whiskey currently sells about 850,000 cases per year (an amount that has doubled since 2005).
The Tullamore Dew whiskies contain both malted and unmalted barley-based whiskeys, triple distilled and aged between 12 to 15 years in old bourbon or sherry casks. Some pot-still whiskey is included in the blend.